Saturday, January 03, 2004

Today was such an eventful day, even though I didn’t have enough sleep. Doesn’t matter any how. I’d get some later.

Today’s posting is about emotions, and my pet subject, music. It’s a lot of convulated thoughts but they somehow link.

I felt funnily emotional today, almost in a quaint way. Fond memories and a falling-leaves melancholy. It would be nice to have your life divided into two: the happy times when you go out and have fun and are so crazy and all that, and the times when you reminiscence about those happy times in a comforting melancholy and with fond memory. Oh, just to add a bit of that anger to spice up your life some time. But that would be real nice. It was that second stage I was talking about today as I listened to a really old song on the radio yesterday called ‘freshman’, the one that goes ‘we were only freshman’…. Yes that’s my secondary school days. It was, so quaint. The lyrics and all. About your college days. I wonder what I would say next time when I grow up and look back at my JC life. Man, we were only freshman. So sweet. Just so touching and warm, to leave me with a smile on my face.
Then later on I switched on the MTV and, hey presto, it was the red hot peppers concert live, and it was nice listening to ‘under the bridge’ and ‘californication’, my word flea is such a fantastic bass player. But it peaked up real well later on with ‘REM’. ‘Losing my religion’ was fantastic as usual, ‘Imitation of life’ the same—Oh incidentally I was bouncing up and down with my telecaster (hoping the strap won’t fall off) to Imitation of life, yelling at the top of my lungs ‘that’s sugar cane that tasted good’ and dancing around in circles, jumping up and down in circles. So cool. (I think I’m getting better as a rhythm guitarist.)….’everybody hurts’ was comforting—that’s the kind of comforting melancholy I was talking about, where you know, everyone knows it’s tough, you get through it, you look back and you smile at the old times…. But the last song of the set actually made me cry. You know, it was just so melancholic, but yet so comforting. Optimistic melancholy. That’s what it’s about. Man I just have to write songs like that. The song
And it was so striking because life never is the same, people move on, moments disappear and they end, feelings, there is never a wrinkle in time which remains constant. But yet he (stipe) ‘feels fine’, he’s got optimism to face the day, he’s confident. For me there’s God. But yeah. It’s wonderful. REM’s songs are so optimistic. That’s really great. I can’t believe I’m actually PCing the thing but man it just hit me straight in the face. Man.
You know, I don’t know what’s gonna happen when all these great songs disappear from the memories of kids these days. Nowadays it’s just the dumbing down of pop. It’s all about, oh, getting laid, with girls, getting laid by boys, love, broken hearted love, oh I want this girl, that girl, that girl, ‘shake that thing’….just appealing to one’s primal emotions. Nothing intelligent. Nothing ever subtle. The songs just rage and rage and rage. Anger. Fear. The only happy times are when you s**** a girl. After that it’s just rage and more rage. Man what’s wrong with them. It seems that people are just animals these days, maybe a more apt song would be cranberries’ ‘the animal instinct’.
Last time it was all about love lost. Those jazz songs, followed by sick r&b. at least it got better later on with some intelligent music, aka beatles, bob Dylan, so on, and later on through Mitchell, REM, etc. but now you’re going back to a dumbing down of pop. Kurt Cobain and all that at least had some lyrics.
YEAH MAN IT’S THE ANIMAL INSTINCTS IN ALL THESE IDIOTS.

I hail Black Eyed Peas’ ‘WHERE IS THE LOVE’. At least it actually SAYS something. That’s great. And it’s the number one song last year in Singapore so well done guys. At least it wasn’t some rubbish.
And I dread the day when all kids would be listening to is Evanescence and Britney and Christina. Man.

Sigh.

Here are the lyrics to ‘the end of the world’

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and
snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world
serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs. Feed
it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength, Ladder
start to clatter with fear fight down height. Wire
in a fire, representing seven games, a government
for hire and a combat site. Left of west and coming in
a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck. Team
by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing! Fine, then. Uh oh,
overflow, population, common food, but it'll do. Save
yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs,
listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and
the revered and the right, right. You vitriolic,
patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty
psyched.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.
Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign
towers. Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself
churn. Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood
letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no
fear cavalier. Renegade steer clear! A tournament,
tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions,
offer me alternatives and I decline.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.
The other night I dreamt of knives, continental
drift divide. Mountains sit in a line, Leonard
Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester
Bangs. Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You
symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel
fine...fine...


even if the song was about the information age, the chorus has a much deeper implication man.

No comments: